History of St Mary Magdalene Anglican Church, Bornova, Izmir
The Whittall family, whose principal residence was the 'Big House' (now the headquarters of the University of the Aegean/Ege Universitesi) had St Mary Magdalene Church built in 1857.  The church was visited by Sultan Abdulaziz in 1863, a sensational and unusual event. It was consecrated in 1864, by the Bishop of Gibraltar in Europe.    The church was greatly enriched at the turn of the century when all the principal windows were filled with top quality stained glass from the studio of the famous English stained glass company, Kempe.  For many years the church served the English community in Bornova.  As this community diminished in numbers over the twentieth century, the frequency of services decreased.  Now however (2020), there is a weekly service of Evening Prayer (according to the rites of the Church of England) on Tuesdays at 5.00 pm.  Special services are also held at Easter, Christmas, and on the Feast of St Mary Magdalene (22 July).  St Mary Magdalene Church is served by the Chaplain and congregation of St John's Church, Alsancak.